Here are the suggestions on which islands to visit having decided to skip the famous and hugely-spoilt islands.
First of all, some facts that will give you some ideas of where to look:
- The movie Mamamia (u know … Abba, Meryl Streep, …) was shot in the Sporades islands (Skiathos & Skopelos)
- The Blue Lagoon in Amorgos island
- Sophia Loren’s “Boy and the dolphin” in Hydra island
- “Captain Corelli’s Mandolin” ( Nicolas Cage, Penélope Cruz) in Kefalonia island
- and many … Indian movies in Santorini!
And here are substitutes for the famous islands:
- Folegandros instead of Santorini
- Tinos instead of Mykonos or Ios
- Hydra instead of Paros, Naxos, etc
- Skiathos, Skopelos & Alonissos instead of Crete, Rhodes, Corfu
- Amorgos instead of any other touristy island
Remember that the Santorini views are amazing and so are the views at Meteora monasteries. When people choose not to visit either of these most photographed locations they obviously miss something. However, they do something else that can easily be an experience that the Santorini visitors will have missed out on!
Enjoy exploring and googling!
PS. You could also check this FAQ: Which island/s should I visit?