Athinaiki Trieres «OLYMPIA»
For centuries, there has been a debate over how Trieres was built and manned. These questions were finally answered in the summer of 1987. At that time the copy of the Athenian Trieres, “OLYMPIA“, equipped with oars of the same length and constructed according to the archaeological data and the laws of physics, resistance of materials, etc., was tested.
In addition, as the Trieres provided permanent employment for the city’s poorer citizens, the fleet played an important role in maintaining and promoting the radical Athenian form of democracy.
Sailboat Crossing “Evangelistria”
The sailing ship “Evangelistria” is one of the last genuine Aegean sailing ships. The “Evangelistria” is a “sailing” sailboat and was built in Syros island in 1939 by the boatman Mauroco and his children, on behalf of the Mykonian shipbuilder Antonis K. Bonis. It has a capacity of about 90 tons, a total length of 20 m and a width of 6.38 m and it carries two tissues.
Steam Steamer «Thalis o Milesios»
It was built in 1909 at NEWPORT NEWS SHIPBUILDING & DRYDOCK CO., VIRGINIA, USA with the original name “JOSEPH HENRY” on behalf of the US Government. It was transferred from the US Government to Greece in 1947, handed over to OTE and renamed “Thalis the Milesian. It was the first Greek cable ship to take charge of the lying and maintenance of telephone cables between the Greek islands. During his service until 1983, when he was decommissioned, he laid 140 new cables and repaired more than 630 lines of older cables. “Thalis the Milesios” is the oldest cable ship in the world, which still maintains its original engine room with its 2 original propulsion engines. It is still the oldest ship registered in Greek registers with high-level technical specifications.
I / F “Evgenios Eugenides”
The historic sailboat “EVGENIOS EVGENIDIS” was built for Walter Runciman. It was a masterpiece of construction, the result of the collaboration of the William & Denny Bros. In Dumbarton, Scotland, designer G. L. Watson and Ratrsey & Lapthorn sail makers. It was captured in 1929 and until 1939 it was mainly used as the staff of the Runciman family. It is noteworthy that during the Second World War a special ship was used as a ship by allies on the Helford River in Cornwall.
In 1945, the ship arrived in Swedish hands, first at the “Abraham Rydberg Foundation of Stockholm” and then at “Einar Hansen’s Clipper Line of Malmo”, where it was renamed “SUNBEAM” and “FLYING CLIPPER” respectively. In 1965 he changed his sailing, with the addition of three sails, and was used as a training sail for the crew of his shipowners.
The boat starred in “FLYING CLIPPER,” starring in the film “Lord Jim”, and is also distinguished in the first two sailing sailboats (1956-1958), including Stavroi Niarchou’s staff, “CREOLE”.
In 1965 it was bought by the Ministry of Mercantile Marine and renamed “EVGENIOS EYGENIDIS”, in honor of the benefactor Eugene Eugenides, from whose bequest came 1/3 of the money for the purchase of the vessel. “EVGENIOS EYGENIDIS” continues to play the role of a training sailboat, this time for the merchant navy until 1990. After decommissioning, “EVGENIOS EYGENIDIS” is transferred to the Ministry of Culture which grants its use in the Navy Museum of Greece.
Since 2004, with the care of the Navy, the ship has been maintained to make it public.
The Artillery Battalion, one of the 25 ships of the Hellenic Fleet, whose Governors and Officers had decided to react dynamically to overthrow the status of the military junta imposed In the country in 1967. They organized an anti-dictatorial movement that had different forms and fluctuations since 1968, culminating in May 1973 that almost all of the Fleet was involved.